Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Women in Science and Engineering Blog, Part Four: Doretha Green


In recognition of Women's History Month, Edgewood Chemical Biological Center (ECBC) presents a special blog series featuring candid responses from female ECBC employees and leaders on their experiences as females in the science and engineering fields. The fourth blog in this sereis features Doretha Green, Technical Manager for the Rapid Area Sensitive-site Reconnaissance Advanced Technology Demonstration within ECBC's Engineering Directorate.
When I was in high school, I was a good science and math student, but my favorite subject was history. My rural Arkansas high school did not offer advanced placement classes in math or science and I was not aware of career opportunities in engineering. Potential career choices centered on traditional women’s careers of teaching or social work.
After getting high scores on the ACT; I started receiving offers of scholarships from different colleges and universities and I saw the opportunity to do something besides teaching or social work.  I accepted a full scholarship from the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff (UAPB) in their Pre-Engineering Program. The program consisted of 3 years at UAPB and then transfer to the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville for 2 years to obtain your engineering degree.  My initial area of interest was civil engineering, but after an internship with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Vicksburg, MS, I decided civil engineering was not for me and changed to industrial engineering. I did not end up transferring to the University of Arkansas, and instead obtained my industrial engineering degree from Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, LA.
After college, I chose to work for the Department of Army instead of the Internal Revenue Service, where I also had a job offer, because I thought I would have more opportunities to use what I learned in college.  My main focus in college was plant layout, material handling and production. There were a few in-house production projects that I was involved in earlier in my career with the Army, but now my main efforts are focused on project management.
Doretha Green obtained a B.S. in Industrial Engineering from Louisiana Tech University and an M.S. in Management from Florida Tech.  She has level III certifications in SPRDE-Systems Engineer and Test and Evaluation. Ms. Green is currently the Technical Manager for the Rapid Area Sensitive-site Reconnaissance Advanced Technology Demonstration.

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Edgewood Chemical Biological Center, Department of the Army, Department of Defense or the U.S. Government.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Doretha on your success!!!!! I remember you from La Tech!!!! Go Bulldogs!!!!

    ReplyDelete