Friday, August 19, 2011

One Goal in Mind: ‘Protecting the Warfighter’ ― A MUSIP Student Testimonial by Richard A. Negri


ECBC Technical Director Joseph Wienand recognizes MUSIP student Richard A. Negri and his mentor Michael Benham during the students’ final presentations at the Center’s Berger Auditorium.
I would like to highly recommend the Minority Undergraduate Summer Internship Program (MUSIP) at the Edgewood Chemical and Biological Center (ECBC) for all students pursuing a Science, Technology, Engineering, and/or Mathematics (STEM) degree at an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accredited institution. The MUSIP program is a unique experience for all its participants. However, the knowledge and experience gained is universal. The MUSIP program will encourage its participants to push the envelope of innovation, and learn the true meaning of team work.

The culture at ECBC is one that is welcoming and family oriented, with one goal in mind: protecting the warfighter. Every single part of ECBC, no matter how minuscule or grandiose, directly impacts the warfighter. Why? Because, the warfighter protects the very liberties and freedoms that our great nation was built upon, the very liberties and freedoms we sometimes take for granted each day. The MUSIP program at ECBC shows it’s participants that they are working for something greater than themselves, and that they should be proud of the fact.

The MUSIP program selects some of the best and brightest STEM aspirants to mentor into leaders and become familiar with war fighter focused efforts. Moreover, the MUSIP programs offers the opportunity to visit historical and national landmarks, meet with military and civilian leadership, gain hands on experience within and outside their field of study, and travel, just to name a few. The unique experiences of the MUSIP program are invaluable to its participants and have been enough to stimulate and motivate passion towards aiding the effort in protecting the warfighter, a statement that I can personally attest too.

I was first introduced to the MUSIP program in February of the spring 2010 semester at Morgan State University, and I have spent two consecutive summers with the MUSIP program thereafter. I have built friendships and come across mentors that I know will continue to guide and motivate me for a lifetime. In addition, it has embedded in me a new found meaning to the phrase “service to others,” the motto of my Jesuit High School. I have a new sense of pride for my country and those who defend it, and it has become a part of me to strive to work my hardest to make their job more intuitive, efficient, and safe. My experiences with the MUSIP program have been nothing, but positive, and I consider myself fortunate to have been a part of such a great opportunity, great organization and great effort. So it is with great pleasure that I recommend the MUSIP program to all STEM aspirants, who wish to make a difference and commit to an effort greater than themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment