Monday, May 21, 2012

ECBC Military Appreciation Blog Series Part Three: Ed Bowen

Edward C. Bowen, Sr. (1920-1996) during World War II

My father, Edward C. Bowen, Sr. (1920-1996), served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He was one of the ‘Iron Men of Metz,’ as a member of the 95th Infantry Division.  In 1944, as part of Gen. George Patton’s 3rd Army, the 95th Division was recognized for fourteen days of continuous attack along a 26-mile front that ended with the capture of the fortress city of Metz, in France, and the destruction of a reinforced German division.  He was also employed at Aberdeen Proving Ground, working at an organization known as Development and Proof Services, a predecessor of the Aberdeen Test Center. Additionally, he served at what is now the U.S. Army Garrison Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG), and retired with 40 years of service in 1980. 



My father was proud of his time in the Army and in WWII. I take great pride in his service during this critical period of our nation’s history.  He has always been my hero.  His dedication to duty and love of country shape what I have tried to do (under much, much less trying circumstances), during my employment with the Department of the Army.  I remember Dad taking me to numerous Armed Forces Day celebrations on APG when I was growing up – and this was back in the days when Armed Forces Day was a BIG deal on Post. He always instilled in me a respect for those who serve and for the work being accomplished on the APG Installation.

Because my dad’s service was prior to my birth, I cannot pretend to understand what it is like to have a loved one deployed in harm’s way.  However, what I can say, is that anyone with a family member, relative or friend serving in the Armed Forces should take great pride in what they are doing for our country.

Ed Bowen is the Strategic Planning and Business Operations Branch chief for ECBC’s Engineering Directorate.  He has worked at Aberdeen Proving Ground for 31 and a half years, and has been at ECBC since June 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment